We are recruiting to fill the position below:
Job Title: Communications Consultant
Location: Abuja, Nigeria
Department Name: Program Advancement
Duration: 4 Months
WA BiCC supports partnering organizations to transition into more effective and efficient agents of fund management and project implementation. The Directorate of Environment of the Economic Community of West African States Environment (ECOWAS) and WA BiCC are collaborating to develop new or improve existing systems aimed at improving the overall performance of the structure in promoting environmental policies in the region but also in maintaining efficient coordination and communications among partners.
To answer to these needs, WA BiCC and the ECOWAS Directorate of Environment are seeking the support of a consultant to develop a Communications Strategy covering the needs of the Directorate and more specifically the implementation of the environmental policy and strategies – including a section dedicated to the Climate Change Programme.
- The purpose of this activity will be to develop the Communications Strategy of the Directorate of Environment tailored to the needs of the Directorate in promoting and coordinating regional activities within the framework of the implementation of the ECOWAS Environmental Policy.
- The Communications Strategy will also include a section dedicated to the Climate Change Programme including specific targets, objectives and a dedicated budgeted action plan.
- This section will focus on awareness raising and information sharing to promote integration of climate change issues in the national development planning as well as to promote the implementation of the Paris Agreement and a knowledge base on best and available practices
Duties and Responsibilities
The identified consultant will work in close collaboration with the Directorate identified focal point and in collaboration with the WA BiCC-supported Advisor and WA BiCC Communications Unit to reach the following specific objectives:
- Assess the needs for internal and external communication and information sharing of the Directorate in consultation with identified stakeholders such as the ECOWAS Communication Directorate and the WA BiCC Communications Unit and the relevant regional organizations in West Africa;
- Develop a comprehensive and integrated Communications Strategy for the Directorate with a section specifically dedicated to the initial activities of the Climate Change Programme.
Develop Action Plans and Implementation Framework:
- Develop specific Action Plans, Implementation Frameworks and Budgets for the implementation of the Directorate’s and Climate Change Programme’s Communications Strategies;
- Consult with all the identified stakeholders to collect and integrate feedback and comments on the Strategy;
- Facilitate and support the organization of the Communications Strategy internal validation workshop;
- Develop and provide a training on social media and advocacy to the staff of the Directorate.
Propose resource (technical and financial) mobilization options and recommendations to support the implementation of the Action Plans:
- Provide recommendation on the action plans’ coordination framework for the implementation of the Directorate’s and Climate Change Programme’s Communications Strategies;
- Provide recommendations on communications materials and tools to be developed to support the implementation of the Communications Strategy;
- Provide recommendations on capacity building at the internal level and among stakeholders to guarantee the implementation of the Communications Strategy;
- Provide recommendations on options to mobilize resources at the internal level and among stakeholders to guarantee the implementation of the Communications Strategy.
- Inception Note resulting from the inception meeting including a personal work plan
- List of classified targets groups, networks, platforms and initiatives to be integrated into the Communications Strategy
- General Framework of the Communications Strategy
- Final Communications Strategy including actions plans integrating all the feedback
- Final recommendations for implementation
- Training report
The Consultant must be an experienced Communications Specialist with the following requirements:
- Master’s degree or a related graduate/post-graduate degree in Communications, Communications for development (C4D), International Development, Journalism, Social Marketing or a field relevant to media/communications and development;
- At least 10 years of work experience with evidence of achievements in the areas of communication, advocacy, information and knowledge management, information technology and other related topics;
- Strong experience in collaborating with regional institutions particularly on capacity strengthening and communication activities;
- Strong writing, facilitation, research and analytical skills;
- Ability to effectively coordinate with appropriate stakeholders in all aspects of communication activity planning;
- Ability to work independently and produce timely and high quality results;
- Experience in designing and implementing communications strategies related to environmental policies and strategies and materials in a context of a climate change or natural resource management projects will be an asset;
- Experienced in Information Management and Information Sharing
- Knowledge of environment related issues will be an asset;
- Experience using social media tools to advance publicity and advocacy campaign messages;
- Knowledge of USAID or ECOWAS rules and regulations;
- Candidates who are nationals of an ECOWAS member state will be preferred;
- Be fluent both in English and French.
Application Closing Date
23rd June, 2017.
Method of Application
Interested and qualified candidates should:
Click here to apply online