The University of Bologna, founded in 1088, is the oldest university in continuous operation. It was the first place of study to use the term Universitas for the corporations of students and masters which came to define the institution, located in Bologna, Italy.
Course Level: Scholarships are available for pursuing PhD programme.
Study Subject: Scholarships are awarded in the field of Economics.
Scholarship Award: Each scholarship amounts to approx. € 13.600,00 gross per year (12.500,00 net) and is paid on a monthly basis. The amount of the grant is increased by 30% during visits abroad of no less than 1 month and no more than 18 months. The full-time scholarships will be assigned to the best applicants on a competitive basis. Up to 1 self-financed PhD students positions are also available (the amount of the yearly full tuition fees to be paid by candidates is € 157,64 for each year).
All admitted students receive additional research funds provided by the department starting from the 2nd year (around € 1.300 per year).
Number of Scholarships: For the academic year 2017/2018 a total of nine scholarships for full-time PhD students are available:
- 8 PhD positions for research projects in any field in Economics are financed by the University of Bologna and by the Department of Economics.
- 1 PhD position is for participation to the European Doctorate in Law and Economics, EDLE;
Scholarship can be taken in the Italy
Eligibility: Candidates from any country and any age holding a Master Degree (second cycle of higher education), or that are in line to complete it no later than October 31st, 2017. Such degree must be one of the following:
- An Italian laurea specialistica/magistrale (3+2-year system);
- An Italian university degree – pre-reform system (4 years).
- An academic degree conferred by foreign institutions, already recognised as equivalent to an Italian degree by Italian authorities like, for instance, a MA or an MSc. These include also inter-university specific agreements of cooperation and mobility.
Candidates with a foreign academic degree (MA or MSc) must attach to their application their degree certificate (including the list of the exams taken), accompanied by an official translation into Italian or English. Their admission to the selection is conditional on the degree meeting the requirements of the Call for applications. The Admissions Board can request candidates to provide additional documents.
Applications from any field are welcome.
Nationality: Candidates from any country are eligible to apply.
College Admission Requirement
Entrance Requirement: Applicants must have a master degree.
Test Requirement: Graduate record tests (taken in the last 3 years) are not compulsory but are strongly recommended. Preferably the GRE– General Test but also GMAT is admissible. For the delivery of GRE results, please note that our department’s code is 1801, while UniBo’s code is 7850.
English Language Requirement: A proof of English proficiency (for non-native English speakers). For instance TOEFL, IELTS, FCE, CAE, CPE, BEC, or any other document or statement certifying that the candidate is fluent in English;
How to Apply: In order to apply, the applicant must:
- Visit Student Online
- Register by inserting the required personal information;
- Select the PhD programme in Economics;
- Complete the on-line application, inserting the required information;
- Attach the academic qualifications and any other requested documents in pdf format.
Selection is exclusively based on the candidates’ academic records (cv, research experience, reference letters, graduate records…).
- Copy of Valid ID or Passport;
- Curriculum Vitae in English;
- Statement of purpose
- Two letters of reference
- Degree transcripts of both the BA/BSc and the MA/MSc.
- A proof of English proficiency (for non-native English speakers).
- Graduate record tests (taken in the last 3 years) are not compulsory but are strongly recommended. Preferably the GRE– General Test but also GMAT is admissible. For the delivery of GRE results, please note that our department’s code is 1801, while UniBo’s code is 7850.
- Any other optional document or qualification that the candidate considers as potentially relevant for the assessment of the application is welcome as well. For instance a paper or chapter of an undergraduate dissertation (no more than 40 double-spaced pages) that the candidate considers as the best sample of her/his previous work.
NOTE: All required documents must be uploaded online within the official deadline. By law, candidates with incomplete applications cannot be admitted to the PhD Program.
Application Deadline: The deadline for the online application is April 27, 2017.